Career Preparation at Liberal Arts, State and Junior Colleges

The level of education and training required by the natural resource sciences varies. Some agencies employ bachelor degree graduates while others require master degree graduates for most of their technical work. If you plan to attend a junior college, a state college or a liberal arts college with the idea of transferring at some point in your education to a university that offers degrees in natural resource fields, you should select that university early. Write to the university registrar and ask for their catalog. With the aid of your counselor, select courses that will be accepted later for credit at the university of your choice. Do not attempt in your first two years to take highly specialized courses even if they are offered. Concentrate rather on required and elective courses in the fields of communication skills, humanities, social sciences, mathematics and introductory physical and biological sciences.

Avoid specialization during the undergraduate years if you are looking forward to graduate study. Obtain a broad general knowledge and develop your intellectual capacities. Then qualify for at least a master's degree at the university offering such degrees. At least one year of study after obtaining the Bachelor of Science degree is regarded as essential for thorough professional training.

The student planning a career in natural resources conservation should give careful consideration to the particular college and degree program desired.

Generally, the greater your depth and breadth of training, the better will be your opportunities for employment and advancement.

Return to the menu to learn more about careers.