-ND Disability Services Council Home
Students Rights and Responsibilities
-College and University Rights
Transition From High School to College for
Students with Disabilities
Rights and Responsibilities
College Student's Rights and Responsibilities
Every otherwise qualified student with a documented disability has
the following rights:
- Equal access to courses, programs, services, jobs, activities,
and facilities available through the college or
- Reasonable and appropriate accommodations, academic adjustments,
and/or auxiliary aids determined by
the institution on a case by case and/or course by course basis.
- Appropriate confidentiality of all information pertaining to
the disability with the choice of to whom to
disclose the disability, except as required by law.
- Information reasonably available in accessible formats.
Every otherwise qualified student with a disability has the responsibility
- Meet the requisite qualifications and essential technical standards;
both academic and institutional,
including the student code of conduct.
- Identify him/herself in a timely manner as an individual with
a disability when requesting an accommodation
from the appropriate service provider.
- Provide documentation from a qualified source that verifies the
nature of the disability, functional
limitations, and the need for specific accommodations.
- Follow specific procedures for obtaining reasonable and appropriate
adjustments and services.
Top of Page